World Bank Group
Do you want to build a career that is full of meaning and impact? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org
IFC’s Financial Institutions Group (FIG) works through financial institutions to provide much-needed access to finance for millions of individuals and micro, small, and medium enterprises that we would never be able to reach directly. This is an important part of the World Bank Group strategy to end extreme poverty and build shared prosperity.
FIG Asia Pacific provides the strategic investment and advice needed by financial institutions to build a strong, engaged private sector and tackle the region’s most pressing development challenges. We account for about 32 percent of FIG’s Global investment portfolio, and our projects support micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs), climate-smart projects, housing, insurance, supply chains, and digital finance. We demonstrate the business case for greater financial inclusion, particularly for women and other under-served segments of the community. Our tailored advice helps clients build capacity, strengthen risk management, and diversify and scale their product offerings. Stretching from the Pacific to South Asia, our projects are delivering on the IFC 3.0 agenda and enabling the region to fulfill its potential.
- FIG Advisory in Asia Pacific leverages on IFC’s global presence, to drive thought leadership and deliver expert advice to our clients towards achieving greater access to finance in our priority markets in the region. Thematic areas of specialization include SME Banking, Microfinance, Agrifinance, Supply Chain Finance, Risk Management, Capital Markets, Digital Financial Services, Climate Finance, Gender Finance and Housing.
- Pakistan faces a substantial affordable housing deficit, driven by rapid urbanization, inadequate urban planning, atomized and undercapitalized residential development industries, lenders with limited capacity to reach low income households, and a lack of long-term funding. The country’s housing deficit is likely to increase due to annual population and urbanization growth rates above 2.4 and 2.7 percent, respectively. Currently, the housing shortage is estimated at 10 million units and is projected to increase by 350,000 – 400,000 units every year, leading to overcrowding of existing housing stock and a deterioration of living space and standards.
- To address the severity, scale and immediacy of the challenge, IFC has made Affordable Housing Finance a key pillar of the Strategic plan in Pakistan for next 3 to 5 years. FIG’s previous efforts in this space in the region have focused on investing in banks, HFCs (Housing Finance Companies) and developers which use innovative credit appraisal and risk management frameworks to go down-market.
- FIG now aims to complement its investment in entities (Banks, microfinance banks, Housing Finance Companies (HFCs), Mortgage refinance companies, (MRCs) Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs)) promoting Affordable Housing Finance, by designing and developing advisory interventions with current and potential investee clients. The proposition aims to focus on various forms/ structures of providing access to finance for affordable housing i.e. mortgage finance, construction finance, micro housing finance, Shahriah compliant loans, real estate developer finance / Construction projects finance.
- The jobholder will be responsible for supporting the generation and implementation of advisory engagements in Pakistan, under the guidance of Country and Thematic leads, with the key focus on Affordable Housing Finance. The jobholder will report directly to the FIG Advisory Services Country Anchor in Pakistan. The jobholder will have a co-supervisory reporting line to the relevant Practice Lead in Asia which would be Housing Finance. He/she will work with the Practice Lead to drive the practice and support delivery of engagements in Asia as per FIG Asia’s expert-based model. He/she will be an integral member of the country team and will work closely with key stakeholders in supporting the delivery of the WBG/IFC country strategy.
Role & Responsibilities:
- We are now recruiting for Associate Operations Officer to support IFC FIG’s strategy in Pakistan. The primary role will be to manage the Housing finance advisory program in the country under guidance of the Country management and the regional / global specialists. The key responsibilities include the following:
- Assisting in the identification, design, negotiation and implementation of Housing Finance Advisory projects in Pakistan in line with the overall Country strategy.
- Providing expert advice to financial institutions (Banks, MFBs, Housing finance companies, central banks, regulatory bodies) on the following areas: (a) initiating a mortgage lending program, or in enhancing a program that is already underway, (b) structuring, negotiating and monitoring of ‘ Developer Finance / Real Estate finance’ loans to large housing developers (c) developing products and policies for microfinance housing loans (d) financial feasibilities of establishing and running sustainable housing finance companies.
- Drafting of documentation such as terms of reference for consultants, strategy notes, market assessments, presentations on housing, concept notes for advisory projects, project approval documents, etc.
- Managing client expectations and ensuring their satisfaction while managing the day to day project activities
- Ensuring the completion of projects within allotted timeframe and budget.
- Managing the work of outside consultants as per the agreed TORs and expected work quality to help implement the project.
- Alerting IFC management to any risks in meeting the project objectives.
- Liaising with various functions working to support the Housing ecosystem within World Bank Group.
- Promoting the integration of housing finance advisory with IFC’s investment program.
- Executing any other assignments / projects to support the FIG Advisory program in the country and region.
Design and Operationalize Solutions:
- Work with senior thematic specialists in supporting the review of project proposals to ensure IFC mandate is adequately addressed and thematic solutions are well-designed to meet customer needs.
- Support the designing of pitch materials for business development and thematic proposals for inclusion in straightforward projects that will include drafting other relevant project documents.
- Gather information from clients and project teams to monitor implementation of thematic area recommendations.
Create and Share Knowledge:
- Gather information from external sources on best practices, evolving trends and challenges, and emerging players that can be used to create new knowledge products.
- Provide organizational and coordination support in the convening of knowledge sharing forums and conferences and contribute to the development of content materials.
- Coordinate and support the delivery of straightforward training programs and workshops for IFC staff to raise their awareness of thematic area, especially Housing Finance, and its importance.
- Graduate degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or a related area or equivalent professional certification in accounting or law.
- Minimum of 5 years of corporate finance and/or consumer finance experience in financial institutions with at least 3 years of specific housing finance related experience in at least one of the following areas (a) Construction finance/ Developer finance project structuring and execution (b) mortgage finance for low cost housing (c) micro housing finance (d) housing finance companies.
- Demonstrated aptitude and ability to manage complex consulting projects effectively, including ability to implement projects on time and within budget.
- Strong client focus, excellent business judgement and ability to produce consistently positive results.
- Self-motivated, conscientious, and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Willing to travel within Pakistan and Asia region, as needed.
- Industry/Sector Knowledge –Understanding of sector drivers, business and market development cycles, and how business performance and long-term competitiveness and viability are measured within a sector and how sector dynamics may evolve within a country or region.
- Client/Stakeholder Engagement
- Demonstrates active listening skills by paying full attention and asking questions to clarify client and stakeholder needs and gather required information.
- Ability to interact effectively with clients and stakeholders by acting professionally, responding to their requests and inquiries, delivering what is promised, and meeting deadlines.
- Capacity to build productive and mutually beneficial relationships and networks internally and externally to identify business opportunities and resolve issues is a plus.
- Writing and Presentation Skills
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills to effectively influence the perception and support of clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to draft documents and reports that are concise, well-organized, and appropriately focused on the most critical points that are relevant to the target audience.
- Utilize charts, graphs, and other presentation techniques to communicate complex data and concepts simply.
- Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and aptitude to learn new systems is a must. Ability to use project management systems is a plus.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills plus fluency in English is must. Ability to speak a second language is a plus.
- Only online applications are accepted: do not email your application to the hiring manager or the HR contact (even if you have applied online), as it will be neither acknowledged nor accepted.
- The hiring manager will contact only short-listed candidates for interviews.
- Do not call/email to find out the status.
- Should you have difficulties submitting your application online, please contact the World Bank HR Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com