The Duchess of Sussex has revealed that she suffered a miscarriage earlier this year. In a personal account published Wednesday in The New York Times, the former Meghan Markle said she had been pregnant, expecting her second child with Prince Harry, when a “sharp cramp” overwhelmed her in July.
She was just wrapping up a diaper change on Archie, their 18-month-old son.
“I dropped to the floor with him in my arms, humming a lullaby to keep us both calm, the cheerful tune a stark contrast to my sense that something was not right,” she recalled. “I knew, as I clutched my firstborn child, that I was losing my second.”
The 39-year-old duchess said she had decided finally to disclose these intimate details as a way of helping her own healing process — and potentially help others who have quietly suffered similar devastation in private.
“Losing a child means carrying an almost unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked about by few. In the pain of our loss, my husband and I discovered that in a room of 100 women, 10 to 20 of them will have suffered from miscarriage,” she said.