Police looking for missing woman Gabby Petito ask for her boyfriend’s cooperation
Police looking for missing woman Gabby Petito ask for her boyfriend’s cooperation

Authorities searching for missing Florida woman Gabby Petito are hoping to talk with her boyfriend, who they believe was the last person to be around her before her family reported her missing, a police spokesperson said Wednesday.

"He needs to talk to us," Josh Taylor, a spokesperson for the North Port, Florida, police department, said in a news briefing. "We need to know exactly where he was, where she was, their last locations and that the fact that he was back here for 10 days. ... The family reported her missing 10 days later."

Before that communication, Petito is believed to have been in the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, police said. She was traveling with her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, in her white 2012 Ford Transit van with a Florida license plate, police said in a Wednesday news release.

That vehicle was recovered September 11 at the North Port home she shared with Laundrie and his parents, the release said, adding that Laundrie allegedly returned to North Port on September 1.

The vehicle was processed and "there was some material in there" that authorities will be going through, Taylor said at Wednesday's news conference. He did not provide further information on the material.

There is currently no search warrant for that home, Taylor said.

Authorities went to the home Saturday asking to speak to Laundrie and his family but "we were essentially handed the information for their attorney," Taylor said.

"That is the extent of our conversation with them," Taylor said. "It's my understanding we have had some conversations with his attorney but certainly nothing to the level of providing us the details that we would like."

North Port police are leading the investigation, with help from the FBI. Petito's family -- who lives in New York -- had reported her missing to the police department in Suffolk County, New York

Petito's family reported the 22-year-old missing September 11. They said they were last in contact with her during the last week of August, according to North Port police.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *