Indiana officials Friday morning urged the public to take necessary precautions as the first case of coronavirus was confirmed in the Hoosier state.
The patient is an adult from Marion County who traveled to Boston where he attended an event, officials said during an 11 a.m. news conference. He is in stable condition, is isolated and does not require hospitalization.
Health officials said they have no indications so far that the man transmitted the disease to anyone else.
A doctor from Community Health said the man called Thursday night concerned that he had COVID-19 symptoms. He was taken through a side entrance of Community Hospital North and did not have any contact with other patients or caregivers.
He had developed a sore throat, a low grade fever and a cough. He had three tests to confirm he was infected with the virus, officials said. He is not in the highest risk age category.
Additional symptoms of coronavirus include shortness of breath.
Coronavirus in U.S.: How Hoosiers should prepare and what to expect
Gov. Eric Holcomb has declared a public health emergency to ensure the state receives additional funding if needed. Congress passed a roughly $8 billion supplemental spending package on Thursday that aims to combat the spread of the coronavirus. It awaits President Donald Trump’s signature.
The Indiana State Department of Health received COVID-19 testing equipment Saturday and has tested 12 people so far and is monitoring 35 others, officials said Friday.