September 24, 2020

Italy’s coronavirus death toll rises to 52

The death toll from Italy’s coronavirus outbreak has risen to 52, an increase of 18 since Sunday, as the number of confirmed cases in Europe’s worst-hit country rose to 1,835.

The civil protection agency said 149 people had recovered from the virus, up by 66 since Sunday. The authorities said 742 people had been admitted to hospital, with 166 in intensive care. The vast majority of those infected had shown few or no symptoms and were recovering at home.

Among those to have tested positive on Monday is a councillor from the Lombardy region, where there are more than 1,000 cases. Authorities there have advised people aged 65 and over, the group most vulnerable to the illness, to stay at home as much as possible over the next two weeks as the region tries to contain a virus.

Meanwhile, Rome confirmed its first cases, that of a police officer and a firefighter. The officer’s wife, two children and sister-in-law were also infected, the Lazzaro Spallanzani hospital for infectious diseases said.

Until Monday, the virus in the Italian capital had only been detected in a Chinese couple from the Wuhan, the city at the centre of the global outbreak, and an Italian man repatriated from China. All three have recovered after undergoing treatment at the hospital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *