June 20, 2021

First death from coronavirus outside China reported in Philippines

A man has died of the coronavirus in the Philippines in the virus’s first confirmed fatality outside China.

The patient was a 44-year-old Chinese man from Wuhan, in Hubei province, where the virus was first detected.

He appeared to have been infected before arriving in the Philippines, the World Health Organization said.

More than 300 people have died in the outbreak so far, the vast majority from Hubei, and more than 14,000 people worldwide have been infected.

Can people recover from coronavirus? And other questions
How quarantine has fought disease through the ages
The lessons learned from the Sars outbreak
The death comes as countries around the world close their borders to arrivals from China, as officials work to control the rapid spread of the virus.

The US and Australia have said they will deny entry to all foreign visitors who had recently been to China, where the 2019-nCov strain of the coronavirus first emerged in December.

Other countries including New Zealand, Russia, Japan, Pakistan and Italy have also announced similar travel restrictions.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *