Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the whole country will want to wish the Duke and Duchess of Sussex well for the future as they give up royal duties.
It came as the Queen went to church near Sandringham, in her first public appearance since it was announced the couple were giving up their HRH titles.
In her statement yesterday she wished them “a happy and peaceful new life”.
But Thomas Markle, Meghan’s father, accused them of “cheapening” the Royal Family.
Earlier this month, Prince Harry and Meghan announced their intention “to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent”.
It prompted intensive discussions between the prince and other senior royals, led by the Queen.
On Saturday, the Queen and Buckingham Palace announced that they had reached a new arrangement – that the couple would no longer use their HRH titles, receive public funds for royal duties or formally represent the Queen from spring.
Queen’s statement on Harry and Meghan in full
Harry and Meghan’s future: Your questions answered
Media caption”Nothing like this has ever happened before” – royal correspondent Daniela Relph explains
Speaking briefly to reporters at a summit in Berlin, Mr Johnson said he had been confident the Royal Family would find a way forward for Prince Harry and Meghan, adding: “I think the whole country will want to join in wishing them the very best for the future.”
However in comments made for a forthcoming Channel 5 documentary, Meghan’s father, Thomas Markle, accused the couple of “destroying” the Royal Family which he called “one of the greatest long-living institutions ever”.
“Every young girl wants to become a princess and she got that and now she’s tossing that away,” he said.
“It looks like she’s tossing that away for money.”